TO AVOID ENGINE OVERHEATING CAUSED BY COOLING SYSTEM AIRLOCK, PLEASE EMPLOY THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE WHEN REFILLING THE COOLING SYSTEM:
1. Raise front of car and support safely on jack stands. It must be high enough so that the radiator filler neck is the highest point in the cooling system.
2. Place heater temp lever in the ""heat"" position.
3. At cylinder head tee (see Fig. 1) detach the hose that runs down to the thermostat.
4. Loosen the same hose at the thermostat, but do not remove. Rotate the hose on the thermostat 180 degrees, forming a filler spout (see Fig. 2).
5. Pour coolant into the hose until it begins to run out of the cylinder head tee.
6. Replace the hose on the tee and tighten the clamps.
7. Continue slowly filling the cooling system through the radiator until it is full.
8. Leaving the radiator cap off, start the engine and allow it to run until the lower radiator hose is very warm and the temperature gauge reads near the center of the scale. This indicates that the thermostat has opened.
9. Lower the car, top off the cooling system and replace the cap.
Replacement Cooling System Parts: